Colette Sweers / 3.6.2019
In 1967, Joni Eareckson Tada had a diving accident that left her a quadriplegic. Little did she know that God would use her life to minister to those in the disability community and bring Him glory.
Joni and Friends is a non-profit organization that has been preaching the Gospel into the lives of thousands of people over the past 40 years.
Who they are:
“We share the hope of the Gospel and give practical help to people impacted by disability worldwide. We’ve been changing the church and communities around the globe for the past 40 years.” – Joni and Friends
Founded in 1979, 12 years after Joni’s diving accident, Joni and Friends started out with a small staff in an office in California. Today it is thriving as it ministers through a variety of ways to those with disabilities.
Their primary mission is to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ to all those affected by disability and their families. They believe that the Gospel can bring hope to families.
Along with bringing the Gospel, they mentor, train, and guide those affected by disabilities. Through doing this, they teach people how they can use their gifts in the church and the community. This mentorship helps bolster people’s confidence and shows them that they can succeed despite the difficulties that they face.
Joni and Friends educates the larger Christian community about the disabled community and help equip churches to serve their disabled brothers and sisters well.
How they serve:
Joni and Friends have a variety of different ways they serve others. These include:
- Wheels for the World: This ministry helps provide wheelchairs to those around the world who either cannot afford a wheelchair or don’t have access to one.
- Family Retreats: They provide a way for families with special needs to be cared for, encouraged, and rejuvenated in a Christ-centered environment.
- Television Program: This ministry shares stories of God’s faithfulness and goodness in the lives of people who have lived through fierce trials.
- Radio Program: This is where Joni provides an encouraging Biblical perspective every day on a range of topics.
- Christian Institute on Disability: This exists to educate the church and Christian/public institutions on the Biblical perspective of the many issues that affect people with disabilities.
For over 40 years God has been using Joni & Friends to impact those who are affected by disabilities. Through doing so, they bring the hope of the Gospel, and encourage the thousands of families who are affected by disabilities.
For more information check out: www.joniandfriends.org